Henry Hope Reed and Classical America show the classic shapes, proportions, and techniques taught for the last couple of thousand years. Classic design is so familiar to us we often don't pay attention. But when we see classics done wrong it grates on the eye. This video shows it done the old timey, correct way.
The Mr. Reed starts drawing at about 4:45 if you want to see what the video is all about. At about 10:00 you'll learn the difference between a cyma recta and and cyma reversa.
The pioneers of modern architecture didn't abandon classic proportions although some of their imitators did. Your eye can tell.
You Atlantans may know that Georgia Tech has a Master of Science (major in architecture) with a concentration in Classical Design. Read about the founding of the classical design program in 2007 here. Atlanta architect Bill Harrison helped get it off the ground.
Hee is another video about the Doric Order. I'll post later.
- ► 2014 (62)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- Videos: Drawing the Classical: The Mouldings and t...
- Graduation Party
- Fresh blogging air
- Brilliant Regent, Inspiring King, Dixon and Pak
- Memorial Day tribute to Jig and Mac
- Pictures from the Castleberry Art Stroll, May 2009...
- Jeff's Shutters
- Pictures from the Duck Pond Garden Tour 2009
- pb&j gallery on a rainy Kirkwood Day
- Duckpond Garden Tour and Modern Atlanta Home Tour ...
- Starter Home $368/square foot
- Dignity on Peachtree
- Mary Mac's - Barometer of Intown Health?
- Lora Groton Rust - Ceramic Designs Studio Show
- Foyers - wasted space, psychologcal boost, or what...
- Robert Neuwirth: The "shadow cities" of the future...
- ▼ May (16)