Hooked on Houses is hosting her "Hooked on Friday's" blog party: today I'm hooked on ID students.
"12 industrial design students from Georgia Tech go for the reality check of a lifetime in a four day immersive adventure to the big apple." They are junior industrial design students in ID3012C Intermediate Design II.industrial design at Georgia Tech, the hardworking design students, and a remarkable teacher. I hope you'll go right to their website, "ATLtoNYC.com" and donate some money to them. Want to hear a bit of the story first?
"Damn it feels good to be a teacher" - David VanArsdale
One of the great things about Pecha Kucha is finding out about folks like David. Here he is presenting his 20 slides in 400 seconds.
- They made the plan.
- The arranged the visits via industry connections, former Tech students and others.
- They designed the logo, the bags, the T-shirts, the vinyl sticker.
- They raised the money from sponsors, donations, yard work, and Boston butts.
- The rented the bus.
- The made the marathon trip.
- They live blogged it all.
They visited a bunch of design houses. I'd never heard of any of them (I don't get out much) but now I have. Here they are at Nulux.
- karim rashid didn't allow studio visits but he is BIG and designs just about everything! Has a fun musical website.
- Material ConneXion
- ECCO Design Inc
- Rockwell Architecture, Planning and Design, P.C among other things, they do set designs for Broadway plays and sets for the 81st Academy Awards.
- Utley's Incorporated
- Curve ID NIke watches and John Deere tractors!
- Smart Design Taxi graphics, hospital scrubs, sink strainers, toothbrushes.
- Crush + Lovely Can't figure out what they do but it's fun trying.
- Core77.com is the "magazine" for industrial design.
So what do they teach in Industrial Design at Georgia Tech?
Here is the undergraduate curriculum. I guess this may look familiar to some readers. What I notice is that they have to take Calculus and Physics!!! As a Tech Grad, let me tell you, Georgia Tech is hard. Calculus and Physics at Georgia Tech are "real hard."
The students are blogging it.
Want to know what today's design students are up to? Here are their blogs. I'm sure they'd enjoy your comments.
- Bryan Ake
- Kim Bryant
- Cristina DelRosario
- Laura Fleece
- Chris Godwin
- Adam Graiser
- Emma Hoop
- Megan Joyce
- Kate McClean
- Jesse Mejia
- Sarah Melgen
- Phil Young
"Four teams designing four workspaces. A barber, a banker, a bartender, and a barista!"
Last but not least, David VanArsdale visiting instructor, Industrial Design Program, Georgia Tech. He did much more than he had to. His students will never forget. I salute him.
Thanks so much.
Returning you to Hooked on Houses' "Hooked on Friday's"