Monday, February 15, 2010
Emory University Hospital by Philip Shutze
This is the Whitehead Wing (1940) of Emory University Hospital. It's the main pedestrian entrance. But folks don't really visit hospitals on foot. Too bad because the usually empty courtyard is one of my favorite places at Emory, maybe in the whole city.
Approaching the door one must look up. It looks ancient, brand new, almost surreal, exaggerated.
Charming, human scaled, cozy.
I can't grok it in a drive-by on Clifton Road. There's no place to stop, no convenient place to park. Folks visiting the hospital see this view from the valet parking line. Most Atlanta families have been here seeking care for loved ones when their minds aren't on classic architecture.
Quite a wall. The elaborate 3rd floor windows rest on a heavy band. That way our brain will know that they can't slip off the wall. The elaborate cornice and balustrade rests on a huge beam supported by a massive pilaster at the corner. It looks solid and sturdy.
The roof top balustrade. Each baluster looks like an urn on a plinth.
Elaborate pediments on the 2nd floor windows.
The Clifton Road facade.
I'm going to the 2010 Philip Trammell Shutze Awards on February 20th in Atlanta You should too. In the run up to the awards I'm doing a batch of posts about Shutze in my "neighborhood." No pro photography or pro architecture was committed in this post.
terry @ surf303.com
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- The grout changed everything.
- Josephine and Elmira - Lady Streets of Candler Pa...
- Calder Loth's 2010 Shutze Award Notes
- Shutze's High Schools Part 1: Grady (1924)
- 2010 Shutze Award Winners for "Excellence in Tradi...
- Shutze's Peachtree Manor Apartments (1923)
- Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)
- Philip Shutze's Flagship Stores: Rich's and Daviso...
- C&S Bank Headquarters Renovation by Philip Shutze
- Shutze's Hidden Maternity Hospital at Crawford Lon...
- Academy of Medicine by Philip Trammell Shutze and ...
- Emory University Hospital by Philip Shutze
- The Steeple at Glenn UMC by Shutze
- Rich Memorial Building at Emory University by Phil...
- Shutze goes Greek at Emory
- Gate to Hell opens near mid-century modern in Atla...
- Shutze's Harris Hall at Emory University
- Haygood-Hopkins Gate at Emory by Philip Shutze
- Taste of Shutze at Emory
- The teardown starts rocking - big time
- Philip Shutze's remodeled Dwoskin office abandoned...
- Peachtree at Piedmont - Zen View
- This Shutze house has connections Jefferson, Askin...
- Shutze's sparkling brick at Grady High School
- ▼ February (24)
- ► 2009 (179)