Saturday, February 20, 2010

Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)



The Villa Apartments - now condos - have been on my errand, short cut, and pleasure routes forever. It's a terrace level plus+2, U-shaped little building on a sharp corner amid big pines. Even in winter it doesn't poke out of the trees, so I don't really see it until I'm smack in front - a zen view.
Villa, Philip Shutze

I imagine it's a 400 year old Roman building teleported to Atlanta just before I drive by.
Villa, Philip Shutze

The wings are straightforward and elegant. This is the sunny side with bleached patina.
Villa, Philip Shutze

The side doors and stairs are wonderful but don't shout. Different curves on either side funnel us in and out.
Villa, Philip Shutze

The main entrance? I don't know what to say...
Villa, Philip Shutze

...except that it's clearly a job for professionals.
Villa, Philip Shutze

If my Shutze posts have taught me anything, it's an appreciation for his entrances. They elevate. This door is important because the people who use it are important.
Villa, Philip Shutze

You can see through to the courtyard.
Villa, Philip Shutze

And what do you know: iron. The reflections make it look busier than it really is. I must learn some photography.
Villa, Philip Shutze

I feel fortunate every time I drive by.

No pro photography or pro architecture was committed in this post. Please see all my Shutze Posts if you like.

Map:


View Larger Map

P.S. Here is the Villa Condominium website.

P.P.S. Here are a few more pictures. They look great in full screen.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful structure. For a minute I thought you had transported us to Italy. I particularly like the iron work over the door. Truly a delight for the eyes Terry. Thank you ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I have never seen this building but it is so beautiful. It has such a grand entrance. I could hadle coming home to that entrance every day. Thanks for sharing. -Cristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This door is important because the people who use it are important."

    Great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the best antique building in the middle of town! Love the the subtle colors on those walls.

    My Uncle Whit's Mama lived there in the 50's, lucky old dear...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive