Saturday, February 20, 2010
Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)
The Villa Apartments - now condos - have been on my errand, short cut, and pleasure routes forever. It's a terrace level plus+2, U-shaped little building on a sharp corner amid big pines. Even in winter it doesn't poke out of the trees, so I don't really see it until I'm smack in front - a zen view.
I imagine it's a 400 year old Roman building teleported to Atlanta just before I drive by.
The wings are straightforward and elegant. This is the sunny side with bleached patina.
The side doors and stairs are wonderful but don't shout. Different curves on either side funnel us in and out.
The main entrance? I don't know what to say...
...except that it's clearly a job for professionals.
If my Shutze posts have taught me anything, it's an appreciation for his entrances. They elevate. This door is important because the people who use it are important.
You can see through to the courtyard.
And what do you know: iron. The reflections make it look busier than it really is. I must learn some photography.
I feel fortunate every time I drive by.
No pro photography or pro architecture was committed in this post. Please see all my Shutze Posts if you like.
View Larger Map
P.S. Here is the Villa Condominium website.
P.P.S. Here are a few more pictures. They look great in full screen.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- The grout changed everything.
- Josephine and Elmira - Lady Streets of Candler Pa...
- Calder Loth's 2010 Shutze Award Notes
- Shutze's High Schools Part 1: Grady (1924)
- 2010 Shutze Award Winners for "Excellence in Tradi...
- Shutze's Peachtree Manor Apartments (1923)
- Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)
- Philip Shutze's Flagship Stores: Rich's and Daviso...
- C&S Bank Headquarters Renovation by Philip Shutze
- Shutze's Hidden Maternity Hospital at Crawford Lon...
- Academy of Medicine by Philip Trammell Shutze and ...
- Emory University Hospital by Philip Shutze
- The Steeple at Glenn UMC by Shutze
- Rich Memorial Building at Emory University by Phil...
- Shutze goes Greek at Emory
- Gate to Hell opens near mid-century modern in Atla...
- Shutze's Harris Hall at Emory University
- Haygood-Hopkins Gate at Emory by Philip Shutze
- Taste of Shutze at Emory
- The teardown starts rocking - big time
- Philip Shutze's remodeled Dwoskin office abandoned...
- Peachtree at Piedmont - Zen View
- This Shutze house has connections Jefferson, Askin...
- Shutze's sparkling brick at Grady High School
- ▼ February (24)
- ► 2009 (179)