Sunday, November 8, 2009
Pitts Theology Library, Emory University
I went to a chapel tour and a library broke out. The Pitts Theology Library at Emory University is just a couple of miles from our place. Until yesterday, I didn't know. I'm participating in Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch. Thanks to Susan! Click on any picture and select "all sizes" if you'd like to see it bigger.
Yesterday AIA Atlanta presented a lecture and tour of Paul Rudolph's Cannon Chapel on the Emory University campus. It's a well known brutalist building consecrated on September 30, 1981. It's brutalist but doesn't brutalize. It feels good inside and out. Every step presents a new view, a new light. It's odd and charming. It keeps you wondering what is around the next corner. Here is a tiny sample of delightful light in the side chapel:
I'll save the Cannon Chapel for another day. I took 80 pictures if you want more right now.
My good fortune: Tom Little mentioned that Paul Rudolph had done an uncharacteristic non-brutal interior renovation of the adjoining theology library. A brutalist does non-brutalist work.
Here is north facade of the Pitts Theology Library. It's one of Emory's oldest buildings, covered in rare pink Georgia marble. I don't know the style of placing the stones: random sizes shapes, colors, and vein orientation, an Emory trademark. It keeps my eyes happy.
From what I understand, this part of the Pitts Library used to be a chapel. That accounts for the cathedral ceiling.
Mr. Rudolph's library conversion / renovation preceded the Cannon Chapel. The pink marble is still there.
He kept the arches and windows. It's modern, rich in tone, and just right.
In the room toward the west are "older" windows with Gothic lights and elaborate, sturdy vaulting.
This window faces the Emory University quadrangle. It looks towards the Michael C. Carlos Museum.
If you are at Emory, you should do some architecture touring. There is plenty more to see.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- Family Room for Thanksgiving.
- Angel Cannon Chapel Column Capitals
- David Huff paintings at Mattress Factory
- Alexandro Santana artist reception at Besharat
- Atlanta bloggers at Mitchell Gold+Bob Williams boo...
- Mattress Factory Artsts - WOW
- Castelberry Hill Art Stroll - November 13, 2009
- John Folsom, Todd Murphy, and Felice Sharp hosted ...
- Jeff's Shutters #3 - Completed
- Curbside Screen
- Pitts Theology Library, Emory University
- Artists from the Buckhead Art Stroll, November, 20...
- Suzanne Kasler, writes, signs, talks, and parties
- Red Patti - the very thing?
- TK's Jackson Pollock Pickets
- ▼ November (15)