Thursday, June 18, 2009

Virginia Cotton Docks - Sampson Street, Atlanta

Hooked on Houses is hosting her "Hooked on Fridays" blog party; I hope y'all will click here and have look. There is a tiny, sentimental reward and a map at the end of this post. I've extended this little tour of Sampson Street in this on a new post.

You'll have to imagine the interior decor of these warehouse lofts in Atlanta's Old Fourth Ward. I'm hooked on the Virginia Cotton Docks. On the dead end of John Wesley Dobbs at Randolph Street.

P6180394-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Street-Front-Detail-Roof-Top-Terrace

There are some for rent. You might drive by this sign 100 times before you really looked.

P6180393-Virginia-Cotton-Dock-Sign-Detail

These were real track side warehouses. I know nothing about their history.

P6180394-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Street-Front

These were obviously turned into lofts long before lofts were cool and back when the Old Fourth Ward wasn't so nice.

P6180395-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Street-Front-Detail

Mint Gallery is there. An Artist's opening would be the perfect excuse for a visit.

P6180400-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Mint-Gallery-Orange-Door

Here is the business end of the Virginia Cotton Docks. It's on a railroad siding serviced by what will be Atlanta's Beltline.

P6180399-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Trackside-Loading-Docks

Careful on that first step.

P6180399-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Trackside-Loading-Docks-Detail

Across the Beltline is another old warehouse, now a restaurant.

P6180397-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Belt-Line-Looking-South

I meant "future" Beltline, here is a view to the north. This will be a greenway, a low tech transportation corridor, or something. Everybody is excited about it.

P6180397-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Belt-Line-North

Here is unit "M" You'll need to click the picture and make it bigger. It's a rather shabby front for what must be very cool loft.

P6180396-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Street-Front-North-M

These windows and doors are not standard warehouse equipment. I'd enjoy a peek inside.

P6180396-Virginia-Cotton-Docks-Street-Front-North-E-Detail

While there, Architecture Tourists will enjoy all 3 blocks of Sampson Street and particularly the colorful Irwin Street Market at the south end...

P6180409-Irwin-Street-Market-South-Facade

...where you might find a couple taking engagement pictures in front of Isadora's Doodles.

P6180407-Irwin-Street-Market-West-Facade-Engagement-Pictures-

P6180408-Irwin-Street-Market-West-Facade-Engagement-Pictures-

I sure appreciate your dropping by. There is more to see on this little street. It's just blocks from the King Historic District, Inman Park, Cabbagetown, Little 5 Points and more. And don't miss the wonderful Wigwam. I'd be happy to help you find your way.

Thanks to Atlanta blogger Aspirations of a Southern Housewife who also enjoys Irwin Street Market and the Old Fourth Ward. I've extended this little tour of Sampson Street in this on a new post.

Terry

Here is the map:


View Larger Map

22 comments:

  1. People who read both of our blogs won't believe that we live in the same city! That's what I love about Atlanta - there is an incredible amount of diversity, not just in the population but also in the architecture and the areas of town.

    I am back from my 3 week stint out of town, and it was good to step out of the airport into the humid warmth of Atlanta summertime weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful area, I love it. It looks like it belongs in a movie, possibly a romantic comedy where the heroine doesn't realize she's been in love with the guy next door all along.
    It would be so great to peek inside one of these...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I just love old buildings with so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun walk we took with you.

    Thanks for sharing.

    TTFN~~Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever get inside any of these great places I hope you will post photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming street and houses and nature just keeps growing, and with docks they obviously don't mean boat docks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are a couple of watercolours there!! Thanks for the inspiration! You have inspired me to take pictures of a place here in Vancouver called Fin Slough...maybe even a day of photograph and sketching :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief Michelle, there is a Flickr Group for Finn Slough.. My kind of place: shabby waterfront.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terry,
    I appreciate you take many of your own photos and showcase interesting architecture.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a keen eye to see the beauty in some forgotten architecture! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Terry, Very interesting post!

    Your comment on my post was a great one. I agree, the depth of the desk top is very important. ...susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terry, thanks for visiting my blog today. Wow those are some interesting transformations taking place. Pretty unique. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i totally enjoy your pics.

    thanks
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh- and I read the first post before this one! Thanks for the addition and reference!! I'm pleased as punch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey me and my roomie are totally looking for a roomate in these lofts, e-mail for more info!

    the url is a link to our craigslist ad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love learning more and more about Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I live in Apt. E (next to M). I could take some pictures of the interior and send them to you if you want. I've only lived there since August so it's not as interesting as other lofts, but very unique nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was lucky enough to live here in the late 90's. It was a colorful cast of characters from artists, photographers and musicians to a reverend, strippers, punkers, trust fund babies and a charming man named Hero. If you didn't attend a garden party at Hero's you missed out on one of the finest society parties in town. The guest list always included Clarice and Bruce Woodruff, Alyse Corcoran and other prominent Atlanta socialites, artists and photographers. If a movie was ever made about these lofts, the best story would be about the eccentric dwellers that lived here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm impressed, I have to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that's equally educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you may have strike the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding the issue is one thing that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very joyful that I stumbled throughout this in my find for anything referring to this.
    shuttle to Atlanta airport
    shuttle service Atlanta airport

    ReplyDelete
  21. IT IS Genuinely Very Useful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Put up Simply because IT IS Very Useful FOR ME AS Effectively. HOPING THE Exact same Best Operate IN THE UP COMING Times ALSO. THANK YOU!
    atlanta airport taxi
    airport taxi atlanta

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive