Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sabine Woman by Dorothy Berge is BACK and I'm GLAD


I think this is the perhaps the best / best sighted sculpture in town. They'd hid her in the bushes for close to 20 years. I am unexpectedly emotional about it.

I ran into Gregor Turk last weekend. He told me they were "moving the Burge," said they spent three days just figuring how to take her apart. I needed to get over there.

 
This is "Sabine Woman" by Dorothy Alphena Berge (1923 - 2009), commissioned in 1968 to sit in front of 100 Colony Square at Peachtree and 14th Streets. See the map at the bottom of this post.

P1170547-2013-03-05-Midtown-Public-Art-Tour-by-Gregor-Turk-Phoenix-Flies-Sabine Sabine Woman by Dorothy Alphena Berge
Sometime in the 1990's they moved her around the corner to a little garden triangle between the 100 building and the W Hotel. They hid her in the bushes.

P1170549-2013-03-05-Midtown-Public-Art-Tour-by-Gregor-Turk-Phoenix-Flies-group-TK  Sabine Woman by Dorothy Alphena Berge
I got my picture taken with her last year, she's big.

IMG_7852 2014-06-24 Sabine Women sculpture by Dorothy Alphena Berge returned to Peachtree and 14th streets
Yesterday I made my way from the North on foot.

IMG_7858 2014-06-24 Sabine Women sculpture by Dorothy Alphena Berge returned to Peachtree and 14th streets
She's digging in.

IMG_7857 2014-06-24 Sabine Women sculpture by Dorothy Alphena Berge returned to Peachtree and 14th streets
Look at that curve!

IMG_7854 2014-06-24 Sabine Women sculpture by Dorothy Alphena Berge returned to Peachtree and 14th streets
I talked with these guys, they know they are working on something special.

IMG_7861 2014-06-24 Sabine Women sculpture by Dorothy Alphena Berge returned to Peachtree and 14th streets
This is how you see her as you exit 100 Colony Square.

57 second video.


How to get there.


Bravo!

P1170553-2013-03-05-Midtown-Public-Art-Tour-by-Gregor-Turk-Phoenix-Flies Sabine Woman by Dorothy Alphena Berge
Thanks to Gregor Turk and the Atlanta Preservation Center's Phoenix Flies for my formal introduction.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool. Thanks for sharing your stories and enthusiasm, Terry. Do you know how the sculpture came to be moved back into public view? Would love some backstory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told that Colony Square's "new owners" moved it back. I'd like to hear the whole story starting in 1968.

      Delete
  2. so much better! she just wasn't visible before!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - wonderful article! Thank you so much for sharing! I have worked very close to this area for 21 years, and it will be a joy to see her in this prominent spot. Thank you for calling attention to this. Atlanta needs more great street art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Terry. Love that sculpture.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive