Thursday, March 12, 2009

49 Mosaics in Mr. Turner's Neighborhood on Luckie Street

P3112359-Luckie-Street-Mosaic-WatermellonJulia over at Hooked on Houses is hosting her "Hooked on Friday's" blog party. This is my 5th try. This week I'm hooked on the Luckie Street mosaics in downtown Atlanta.

I was photographing 49 little mosaics on Luckie Street (see the slide show at the bottom of this post, it's worth it ) and there was Ted Turner in front of the his downtown Atlanta home. I grabbed his hand and wished him a good day. Know what? He looks just like Ted Turner. We're not buds, but I've seem him around.

Mr. Turner lives on top of.....The Tuner Building. It is also the home of many organizations he supports. If you are visiting the Aquarium, have lunch at Ted's Montana Grill. It's a great room.
P3112391-Turner-Building-Luckie-Street-Street-Level

It's in the Farlie Poplar district of downtown between Peachtree Street and Centennial Olympic Park. They haven't replaced the tornado damaged windows in the round Peachtree Plaza.
P3112392-Turner-Building-Luckie-Street-Corner

Here is the east side of his penthouse, flying 3 flags. You'll need the birdseye view in live.com to see the balconies.
P3122426-Luckie-Street-Rooftop-Turner-Penthouse

It's just across Olympic Park from CNN Center, the Dome, the Aquarium. Pretty handy but I don't know if he visits CNN much these days.
P3122428-Luckie-Street-Rooftop-CNN-Center

This is the view in the opposite direction, towards the heart of downtown Atlanta. (I've messed with the color on this picture). The red brick building with the little pediment used to be the Playboy Club. The low concrete building in the center of the picture is the back side of brutalist Marcel Breuer’s last building, Atlanta's Central Public Library. I preferred the building it replaced but I don't hate the Breuer as much as I used to.

P3122433-Luckie-Street-Rooftop-View-To-NE-FalseColors

The Turner Building is across the street from The Tabernacle. It's a rock music venue these days but it rocked just as hard when it was church.

P3122427-Luckie-Street-Rooftop-Taberlacle-TrunerBldg-OlympicPark

The Tabernacle's facade is impressive and right on the sidewalk.P3112379-Elllis-Street-Tabernacle

Great windows too.
P3112378-Elllis-Street-Tabernacle-Stained-Glass

Great doors, lantern, and wrought iron.
P3112380-Elllis-Street-Tabernacle-Doors-Lantern-Iron-1910

1910
P3112381-Elllis-Street-Tabernacle-Cornerstone

This part of Luckie Street is just 4 blocks and a nice little stroll if you are downtown...

P3112392-Luckie-Street-Mosaic-Location

...and if you do visit, you'll be rewarded with 49 mosaics in the sidewalk. Do try the slide show in full screen.

History of Luckie Street
Named after Solomon "Sam" Luckie, an African-American barber killed in a bombing of Atlanta during the Civil War.

Thanks so much for visiting,
Terry

Back to --> Hooked on Houses is hosting her "Hooked on Friday's" blog party.

13 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, because I see a side of Atlanta that I have never seen (despite living here for over 12 years)!

    Come check out my post today...I think you will like it (it is a true architecture tourist type of a post).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tour of Atlanta! I love the mosaics. I had a hard time trying to decide which one I liked best...the alligator and the butterflies had such pretty colors in them.
    Great post!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! It's great to see these photos famous buildings, and how fun that there are 49 mosaics on Luckie Street! ~Arleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the The Tabernacle's facade. Gives a very colonial and historic feel. Yet, the building still looks modern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one day, i'll have to bribe you into taking me on a tour of the ATL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME blog!! Thanks for the tour!
    ~angela @ peonypatch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the gorgeous tour! Lovely!
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for giving me the link to the picture of the Tabernacle doors on my Hooked on Fridays post :-)

    And thanks for the little tour of Atlanta. The round Peachtree Plaza is cool. Love the pic with the old Playboy Club. And I enjoyed watching the 49 mosaics slide show :-)

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am visiting via H.O.H. Great post!

    I hope you'll stop by for a visit, I am hosting a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terry- I love reading your blogs and find them always educational. Mr. Turner's building really isn't that remarkable, is it? I have to say I like the tile mosaics much, much more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure my pictures don't capture the building. It's not new. It's very elegant, that is, restrained. Not too big or showy. It feels comfortable and human scaled from the sidewalk. I got on top of a 5 story parking garage to show the penthouse.

    Most of Farlie Poplar gives me a sense of what was. When I started work downtown in 1973, downtown was were everything was. Then, the decline, as Atlanta grew fast and grew out. It's perked up again but it will never be "the place" again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tour! Those red doors and the wrought iron on the Tabernacle are stunning. Really enjoyed this post, as usual, Terry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photographs and thank you for stopping by my little blog. I appreciate the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive