This tiny place is not to be missed. Fortunately you can't miss it so take an extra five minutes and stop in Scarboro.
About 5 miles up Highway 17 north of Rocky Ford we found a near perfect terminated vista. It looks like you are going to drive smack into a building, a place that stops the eye.
You put something pretty in a terminated vista. In Scarboro it's this little church.
Scarboro Baptist is atop a tiny rise on a triangular green, grand red steps to the portico.
"In 1839 (Scarboro) became Station No. 7 on the Central Rail Road and served this (sic) one of the very oldest rail roads in the United States...."
On the green there's a white church, a blue house, and a gray house. Scarboro Road, a shortcut to the Ogeechee River, passes a ruin and the cemetery.
The Scarboro triangle.
The Blue House.
The gray house seems to be a riverside store neither abandoned nor busy on this Monday afternoon.
The ruin is on Scarboro Road where it starts sloping down to the Ogeechee.
The cemetery is across the street from the ruin. We didn't have time to explore be we wanted to.
Of course Brian Brown has been there with Vanishing South Georgia.
That's about all there is, do stop.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- Road Trip 16: Riddleville Georgia's 1917 Corner Be...
- Road Trip 15: Tiny Bartow Georgia is Imagible, Leg...
- Road Trip 13: In the Middle of Midville Georgia
- Road Trip 12: We Missed Most of Millen Georgia but...
- Road Trip 11: Scarboro, Georgia's Perfect Terminat...
- Road Trip 10: Rocky Ford, Georgia
- Road Trip 9: Oliver, Georgia the Beautiful Speed T...
- Road Trip 8: Guyton Georgia the Beautiful
- Road Trip 7: Pulaski Georgia's Roadside Yellow Far...
- Road Trip 6: Everything's Better in Metter Georgia...
- Road Trip 5: Dublin's Grey Church, Brick Church, a...
- Road Trip 4: Adele Theater in Eatonton, Georgia.
- Road Trip 3: Shady Dale City Hall and Providence B...
- Road Trip 2: Pink House Between Newborn and Shady ...
- Road Trip 1: Covington First Methodist's Open Stee...
- We Saw Savannah on Sunday with Sore Knees a Sip an...
- ▼ October (16)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)