You can find these in every county in Georgia, probably nearly every county in the USA. This one is in the MAK District of Decatur, near a boatload of Leilia Ross Wilburn houses, very good company.
Here is another in Brookhaven, recently torn down.
Here is the Lambright House, Freedmen’s Grove from Vanishing South Georgia.
It's a "National I-house." according to pp. 96-97 of The Field Guild to American Houses, a skinny house 2 rooms wide and one room deep.
It's just skirts my errand route. Today I did a little detour to check it out. So many of these dignified houses rot away on roadsides. It's familiar all-American shape sits on a lot with plenty of breathing room.
But how can a tiny house suit a modern family in a first class neighborhood?
Something is going back in the back. The sign for Lightroom Architects (...specializes in the modern renovation of existing residences) is a dead giveaway. Some thing is going on back there and it doesn't look vernacular.
Let's check the other side.
Uh-huh. I like that the new wing isn't continuous with the siding of the I-house. The I-house maintains it shape.
Looks like the wing T-Bones into a big room at the back. The "porte-cochere roof overhang thing" suggests the width and height of "T" room.
Here is the south side.
I have turned this over to the Architecture Tourist Vernacular / Modern Special Interest Group for weekly inspections.
Congratulations to Lightroom and to the fortunate owners.
Attention: Lovers of The Ansley Glass House by bldgs, the office Atlanta architects Brian Bell and David Yocum.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- Shutze's Goddard Chapel at Grady Hospital
- Preview: Shutze's Uncanny Little Chapels
- Butch's Beautiful Bowls at Swan Coach House Galler...
- The Tragic Poet, the Fontana Piccola, the Faun
- Stained Glass: 2 churches, 2 chapels, 3 organs and...
- Dashboard Co-Op Throws a Big Art Party
- I'm not worthy - Stylish Blogger Award - but they ...
- Pool House Classical on Krog Street - Really?
- A snowy time-lapse & pictures at our place
- Stained Glass Sunday - Tiffany, Downing et al.
- The Trinity Preview Market at Saks Rocks
- National I-house is getting a modern T-Bone in Dec...
- Sunny at St. Charles and Highland with dog
- Tiny, wonderful Va-Hi garden with pink pigs
- ▼ January (15)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)