Sunday, February 14, 2010
The Steeple at Glenn UMC by Shutze
My children went to preschool here. My son graduated high school inside. We've spent a lot of time around Glenn. It get's better with each visit, with each drive by.
The view from the Haygood Hopkins Gate will disappear when things green up.
This is the stunning view from the north east, from the Rich Memorial Building.
I love the back side too; enjoyed most often by parents in the pre-school's carpool line.
We expect our steeples to be tall and pointy. Here we have a square, octagon lantern, and a dome. Seen alone...
Seen in place, atop colossal columns, it's a whole 'nother thing.
The whole composition, used every single day.
I'd be happy with just parts.
The dome and 2 levels of airy arches sit on the sturdiest base.
The upper balustrade...
and the lower balustrade have the same balusters.
I'm going to the 2010 Philip Trammell Shutze Awards on February 20th in Atlanta You should too. In the run up to the awards I'm doing a batch of posts about Shutze in my "neighborhood." No pro photography or pro architecture was committed in this post.
terry @ surf303.com
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- The grout changed everything.
- Josephine and Elmira - Lady Streets of Candler Pa...
- Calder Loth's 2010 Shutze Award Notes
- Shutze's High Schools Part 1: Grady (1924)
- 2010 Shutze Award Winners for "Excellence in Tradi...
- Shutze's Peachtree Manor Apartments (1923)
- Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)
- Philip Shutze's Flagship Stores: Rich's and Daviso...
- C&S Bank Headquarters Renovation by Philip Shutze
- Shutze's Hidden Maternity Hospital at Crawford Lon...
- Academy of Medicine by Philip Trammell Shutze and ...
- Emory University Hospital by Philip Shutze
- The Steeple at Glenn UMC by Shutze
- Rich Memorial Building at Emory University by Phil...
- Shutze goes Greek at Emory
- Gate to Hell opens near mid-century modern in Atla...
- Shutze's Harris Hall at Emory University
- Haygood-Hopkins Gate at Emory by Philip Shutze
- Taste of Shutze at Emory
- The teardown starts rocking - big time
- Philip Shutze's remodeled Dwoskin office abandoned...
- Peachtree at Piedmont - Zen View
- This Shutze house has connections Jefferson, Askin...
- Shutze's sparkling brick at Grady High School
- ▼ February (24)
- ► 2009 (179)