Whole sections of the wall sparkle in the low winter sun.
I've just bought my ticket to the 2010 Philip Trammell Shutze Awards on February 20th in Atlanta. You should too. Mr. Shutze "...placed Atlanta on the map of America's great classical architecture." The awards recognize new architecture and landscaping in the classical tradition here in the southeast.
I went to the Shutze Awards last year. It's quite a treat for architecture tourists. The event gathers the architecture, the architects, and the clients in one place for one evening. And there will be way more bowties than average.
Atlanta is full of Shutze buildings. This was a busy, productive man with great clients.
In the run up to the awards I will do a batch of posts about Shutze in my neighborhood, places that reward deeper looks.
Shiny brick? On Sunday while taking pictures of Shutze's Grady High School (where my kids went to school, where I've been 100's of times), I had my first brick epiphany.
I took a routine photo of the brick in the shade. It's Flemish bond with gray headers, red stretchers. Nice. Why did Mr. Shutze selected these particular bricks?
I presumed that's all there was to know about the brick. Then I moved to the sunny side and with a sidelong glance caught the reflections. The gray headers shine:
What else am I missing?
I will do another post on Grady High School. For fellow Atlantans, it's across 10th street from Piedmont Park. You've been there but you haven't really noticed. It's worth a closer look. How 'bout them urns?
P.S. If you are going to the Shutze awards, please let me know at terry @ surf303.com.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- The grout changed everything.
- Josephine and Elmira - Lady Streets of Candler Pa...
- Calder Loth's 2010 Shutze Award Notes
- Shutze's High Schools Part 1: Grady (1924)
- 2010 Shutze Award Winners for "Excellence in Tradi...
- Shutze's Peachtree Manor Apartments (1923)
- Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)
- Philip Shutze's Flagship Stores: Rich's and Daviso...
- C&S Bank Headquarters Renovation by Philip Shutze
- Shutze's Hidden Maternity Hospital at Crawford Lon...
- Academy of Medicine by Philip Trammell Shutze and ...
- Emory University Hospital by Philip Shutze
- The Steeple at Glenn UMC by Shutze
- Rich Memorial Building at Emory University by Phil...
- Shutze goes Greek at Emory
- Gate to Hell opens near mid-century modern in Atla...
- Shutze's Harris Hall at Emory University
- Haygood-Hopkins Gate at Emory by Philip Shutze
- Taste of Shutze at Emory
- The teardown starts rocking - big time
- Philip Shutze's remodeled Dwoskin office abandoned...
- Peachtree at Piedmont - Zen View
- This Shutze house has connections Jefferson, Askin...
- Shutze's sparkling brick at Grady High School
- ▼ February (24)
- ► 2009 (179)