Saturday, February 27, 2010
Josephine and Elmira - Lady Streets of Candler Park
The string of neighborhoods along the tracks east of Atlanta are delights for architecture tourists. The MLK Historic District, Old 4th Ward, Inman Park, Little 5 Points, Candler Park, Lake Claire, and Decatur define eclectic. The thoroughfares, Moreland, Dekalb Avenue, and McClenden just tease.
There are a little pockets of hidden streets that seem from another place or another era: The War Streets, The State Streets, The Park Streets, Southerland Hill. Each has it's own personalty enhanced the the proud and hardy folks who live there.
The Lady Streets are Elmira Place and Josephine Street, a couple of blocks east of Moreland Avenue. They are side by side but not exactly a matched pair.
Do you need a reason? How about the Inman Park Festival , Little 5 Points, or the original Flying Biscuit. Fox Brothers Bar-B-Q is between the lady streets and worth driving a few miles.
The Battle of Atlanta was fought here.
Elmira feels broad, flat and shady. Josephine's houses evoke New Orleans. The houses are impossibly close to the narrow street by Atlanta standards, like parts of the Old 4th Ward. My pictures can't show it:
If you are in the neighborhood, have a look.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- The grout changed everything.
- Josephine and Elmira - Lady Streets of Candler Pa...
- Calder Loth's 2010 Shutze Award Notes
- Shutze's High Schools Part 1: Grady (1924)
- 2010 Shutze Award Winners for "Excellence in Tradi...
- Shutze's Peachtree Manor Apartments (1923)
- Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)
- Philip Shutze's Flagship Stores: Rich's and Daviso...
- C&S Bank Headquarters Renovation by Philip Shutze
- Shutze's Hidden Maternity Hospital at Crawford Lon...
- Academy of Medicine by Philip Trammell Shutze and ...
- Emory University Hospital by Philip Shutze
- The Steeple at Glenn UMC by Shutze
- Rich Memorial Building at Emory University by Phil...
- Shutze goes Greek at Emory
- Gate to Hell opens near mid-century modern in Atla...
- Shutze's Harris Hall at Emory University
- Haygood-Hopkins Gate at Emory by Philip Shutze
- Taste of Shutze at Emory
- The teardown starts rocking - big time
- Philip Shutze's remodeled Dwoskin office abandoned...
- Peachtree at Piedmont - Zen View
- This Shutze house has connections Jefferson, Askin...
- Shutze's sparkling brick at Grady High School
- ▼ February (24)
- ► 2009 (179)