Thursday, March 19, 2009

Amazing Chadsworth Cottage and Chadsworth Columns

Julia over at Hooked on Houses is hosting her "Hooked on Friday's" blog party. I'm hooked on Chadsworth Cottage and Chadsworth Columns.

I just hope to introduce you to the Chadsworth Columns website and to entice you with some pictures of the Chadsworth Cottage.

Here is what I hope you'll enjoy from the post. Who knows, you might need some columns some day.
  • Chadsworth Columns: Chadsworth's 1.800.COLUMNS has a remarkable website that any design lover will enjoy. It's almost exhausting - hundreds of pictures of columns in remarkable homes - interiors, exteriors, and landscapes. Chadsworth columns are everywhere.
  • Chadsworth Cottage is a classical vision, a labor of love by owner, designer, and craftsmen. This may not be you personal favorite beach house but there is plenty here to please the eye. The design and craftsmanship are top level.
  • Owning a column company is one of my ideas of the perfect job.
  • My study outline is below the next picture. I think you'll enjoy exploring Chadsworth.
Chadsworth Cottage on the left at Figure 8 Island, North Carolina is a temple to the beach. Amazingly Chadsworth Cottage isn't that big and uses modern materials and techniques to help survive a tough environment. Photo courtesy Chadsworth's 1.800.COLUMNS

The tenuous location is part of the charm. I'd expect it to generate some strong opinions.

Terry's study outline for this post:

The Chadsworth Cottage slide shows don't work so well in Firefox. Better use Internet Explorer.

This is the street side facade.Photo courtesy Chadsworth's 1.800.COLUMNS

Off the sand and onto the cool brick floor.

The Chadsworth Cottage slide show has floor plans, preliminary drawings, and construction pictures to show how things came together.

Photo courtesy Chadsworth's 1.800.COLUMNS

Thanks so much to Rosemary at 1.800.COLUMNS for allowing to use these pictures.


P.S.
Christine Franck, designer of Chadsworth Cottage was kind enough to send these images. Christine answered some of commenter questions below.

First, this is really where we'd like to be right now.
ChadsworthLogan15PorchView

"...and a watercolor sketch I [Christine}] did one weekend, shows the view from the inlet..."

ChadsworthCottageWaterColor

15 comments:

  1. Love the columns! And not a bad little cottage either! I have an eye for detail, did you notice how they simplified the detail on the stair stringer trim? I might have made it a little simpler too if I was the guy who had to cut all of those on a scroll saw! Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely breathtaking! Thank you for featuring columns; I think they are so stunning. ~Arleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the introduction to Chadsworth Cottage. I think the location is quite appealing :-)

    Love the pergola, and the railing in the last picture is really nice. Very unique :-)

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - what a cottage?! Absolutely beautiful in every way!
    ~angela @ peonypatch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the front facade and the brick floors..... and the view, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the columns in the windows on the landing. Beautiful ideas...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever seen something SPECIAL about angels in or at a house?

    Would you draw me an angel for my blog?

    PLEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEE!
    Thank You! ;-)

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I had commented on this? Well, I will comment again!

    I love the architectural details on the stairs. This is a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your kind comment on Cincinnati. Oh my goodness, lovely details on a beautiful home. What a great tour. Thanks , I will be exploring the rest of your blog. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Secon comment. OK Terry, I just browsed a bit through your blog. Wow, love it. My hubs and I just love scoping out all of the great architecture in Cinci. You are a blog after our own heart! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great comments. The house you are looking at is mine. I am the owner of Chadsworth Columns. I stated the company in Atlanta and then moved it to Wilmington. I started the company when I was 26 and then after 20 years I finally built myself a home. I still have a residence at Lake Lanier and miss Atlanta terribly. While not the detail of the cottage you can see the guest house of my mountain property at www.campdavis4u.com. All three properties have one thing in common - views! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the outdoor room the columns help create, but in such a scenic spot, what about the view?

    ReplyDelete
  13. My post surely isn't worthy of the subject. All I wanted to do what to let folks know about some amazing columns in some amazing places and to show off the Chadsworth site that has so much info on columns.

    I remember seeing the Chadsworth site for the first time. I thought to myself 'Wow I wish I could do that." (be involved in so many beautiful projects.)

    So far I've been contacted by Jeffrey Davis, THE Chadsworth guy himself. And Christine G. H. Franck the architect / designer of Chadsworth Cottage. And, Gary Brewer, Partner at Robert A.M. Stern Architects, project architect for the Seaside Cottage. Wow, I'm not worthy.

    To Jeff, come on back to Atlanta, any time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your wonderful comments about Chadsworth Cottage - it was a thrill to design it for Jeff Davis.

    For Remodeling Guy, the stair tread bracket image shows a study sketch I did at an historic house in New Bern and we then simplified the stair tread bracket while keeping it a decorative element.

    Similarly, for DesignTies, the railing in the last picture is a bundled wheat pattern railing borrowed from a different house in New Bern. It is adapted to meet today's code. But in both these examples and others we wanted to borrow native details to make sure the house celebrated the southern traditions in coastal North Carolina.

    Best of all is indeed the waterfront porch. The view can be seen in the last picture on the blog. And there are more pictures here: http://www.christinefranck.com/morechadsworthcottage.html.

    Thanks Terry for blogging about Chadsworth Cottage! Boy do I wish I were there today instead of in cold New York City! Christine Franck.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive