I just hope to introduce you to the Chadsworth Columns website and to entice you with some pictures of the Chadsworth Cottage.
Here is what I hope you'll enjoy from the post. Who knows, you might need some columns some day.
- Chadsworth Columns: Chadsworth's 1.800.COLUMNS has a remarkable website that any design lover will enjoy. It's almost exhausting - hundreds of pictures of columns in remarkable homes - interiors, exteriors, and landscapes. Chadsworth columns are everywhere.
- Chadsworth Cottage is a classical vision, a labor of love by owner, designer, and craftsmen. This may not be you personal favorite beach house but there is plenty here to please the eye. The design and craftsmanship are top level.
- Owning a column company is one of my ideas of the perfect job.
- My study outline is below the next picture. I think you'll enjoy exploring Chadsworth.
The tenuous location is part of the charm. I'd expect it to generate some strong opinions.
Terry's study outline for this post:
- Chadsworth Cottage is a 2007 Palladio Award winner for New Construction – less than 5,000 sq.ft.
- Christine G. H. Franck Inc the architect / designer. Connections: Institute of Classical Architecture & Classical America, Georgia Tech: 2006-2007 Harrison Design Associates Visiting Scholar)
- Chadsworth Cottage slideshows: under construction, drawings and finished.
- Chadsworth Columns has acres of breathtaking picutures of columns used in magnificent interiors, exteriors, landscapes. Not all are mansions.
- Column "parts" and orders defined and illustrated.
- For comparison here is another classical beach house, by Robert A. M. Stern at Seaside. Atlanta connections: The Mansion and Atlanta Federal Reserve Bank
- Compare the classical estate-type beach house at Figure 8, to the classical-vernacular, in a "new urbanism" setting at Seaside.
- From Quinlan Terry: "How can you find men to do your class of work these days?' as if men no longer can or want to produce skilled work. The truth is that whenever there is good work to be done there are men to do it...Generally, I find that the more intricate the detail, the more willing the tradesmen are to take on the work."
The Chadsworth Cottage slide shows don't work so well in Firefox. Better use Internet Explorer.
This is the street side facade.Photo courtesy Chadsworth's 1.800.COLUMNS
Off the sand and onto the cool brick floor.
The Chadsworth Cottage slide show has floor plans, preliminary drawings, and construction pictures to show how things came together.
Photo courtesy Chadsworth's 1.800.COLUMNS
Thanks so much to Rosemary at 1.800.COLUMNS for allowing to use these pictures.
Christine Franck, designer of Chadsworth Cottage was kind enough to send these images. Christine answered some of commenter questions below.
"...and a watercolor sketch I [Christine}] did one weekend, shows the view from the inlet..."