125. STAIR SEATS ". . . we know that paths and larger public gathering places need a definite shape and a degree of enclosure, with people looking into them, not out of them...Stairs around the edge do it just perfectly...Wherever there is action in a place, the spots which are the most inviting, are those high enough to give people a vantage point, and low enough to put them in action." A Pattern Language
I climbed the Clough on Wednesday, the brand new 220,000 square foot G. Wayne Claugh Undergraduate Learning Commons at Georgia Tech. I like it, you may too. It's for people. It jumps.
Facility programming by Perry Dean Rogers Architects with Houser Walker Architecture. Bohlin Cywinski Jackson designed it. They also did Tech's "Nano" building, and many Apple stores.
220,000 sq. ft.- 2,100 total seats, 41 classrooms, Two 300-plus seat, auditoria Group study rooms.
Natural light permeates all 5 floors. But the best place may be the West Gallery.
The best stair in Atlanta? "Wherever there is action in a place, the spots which are the most inviting, are those high enough to give people a vantage point, and low enough to put them in action." This is a fun place, a theater that can activate our mundane chores.
Up to the roof.
This is the roof, a garden growing wild (172. GARDEN GROWING WILD). The path connects cozy sitting niches...
...and leads to this view of Midtown.
The north facade.
For my fellow Tech alums: the Clough adjoins the library on the West and occupies the hill, the old library parking lot, and a bit of the EE parking lot. You can't drive through there any more. Skyles is on the other side in this picture.
You should visit if you get the chance.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- 3rd Stop: Big Bethel AME Church - APC Sacred Space...
- 2nd Stop: Paces Ferry UMC - APC Sacred Spaces Tour...
- Pictures from 1st Sacred Spaces Tour
- 1st Stop: Ahavath Achim Synagogue APC Sacred Spa...
- Shutze's Gate Gets a Circle that Improves My Life
- Terry's Must Do List September 22 - October 1
- The Clough: Best Stair in Atlanta? Best Roof Garde...
- Hirsch Hall is now a pile of rubble
- Top 9 "likes" about a condo with Zen Views
- "87.63% Unattractive" - Kinder Baumgardner
- Attn: Design Fans: Lecture at Ga Tech Wed, Sep 7, ...
- Where is the highest new house in Atlanta, can you...
- ▼ September (12)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)