The latest trends in garden homes and decor are 2000 years old.
What a night. Georgia Tech professor Doug Allen presented "Villas of the Roman World" at Emory's Carlos Museum (see the Carlos social media page) on behalf of the Southeast chapter of the ICA & CA. Lot's of villa fans were there.
If you haven't been to Pompeii, have a look: House of the Tragic Poet, House of the Faun and the relatively modest House of the Small Fountain - Fontana Piccola, shown below.
The Carlos lecture room lobby is special don't you think? Closest you can get to the Porch of the Caryatids without leaving Atlanta. The lighting simulates clerestory windows.
I wasn't expecting so many folks: architects, students, landscape lovers, antiquity lovers and lover lovers I'm sure.
Elizabeth Hornor, Director of Education, welcomed us on behalf of The Carlos.
Betty Dowling introduced Professor Allen on behalf of the ICA & CA.
Douglas Allen used gestures, laser pointer, Latin words, slides and wit. The crowd literally oohed and aahed. I oohed and aahed out loud.
Doug defined villa rustica. The crowd fantasized a nice fixer-upper. (Here are a few floor plans.)
The House of the Faun covered a Pompeii city block.
It was over all to soon but the crowd was happy.
The lobby is a very comfortable place to chat after the show.
These reproductions are everywhere.
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- Shutze's Goddard Chapel at Grady Hospital
- Preview: Shutze's Uncanny Little Chapels
- Butch's Beautiful Bowls at Swan Coach House Galler...
- The Tragic Poet, the Fontana Piccola, the Faun
- Stained Glass: 2 churches, 2 chapels, 3 organs and...
- Dashboard Co-Op Throws a Big Art Party
- I'm not worthy - Stylish Blogger Award - but they ...
- Pool House Classical on Krog Street - Really?
- A snowy time-lapse & pictures at our place
- Stained Glass Sunday - Tiffany, Downing et al.
- The Trinity Preview Market at Saks Rocks
- National I-house is getting a modern T-Bone in Dec...
- Sunny at St. Charles and Highland with dog
- Tiny, wonderful Va-Hi garden with pink pigs
- ▼ January (15)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)