The biggest urn in Atlanta is the colossal Helena Hernmarck tapestry "Urn" in the lobby of One Ninety One Peachtree Tower, aka 191 Peachtree.
Attention designers, it's just a block from AmericasMart.
"...interior detailing that adds to its hallmark status, such as the six unique types of marble from around the world adorning the building’s lobby and elevator cabs, and the massive 'Urn' tapestry by Helena Hernmarck that welcomes visitors to the seven-story atrium." (description from here)
I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside.
The urn looks hyper real from a distance, too realistic to be real. It's like a rendering that reveals more than a photograph. As I move closer, my brain still can't grasp it: Is it a painting? Moving closer, my eye picks up the nubby pile carpet effect.
My sidewalk pictures catch reflections of the Davison's /Macy's Building across the street: The arches, scrolls, cornices and brickwork of 180 Peachtree. What do you know, it's by Philip Shutze of Hentz, Adler and Shutze, Architects.
I'm afraid that this block of Peachtree Street isn't a destination for Atlantans any more. This is an example of stunning lobby art that's public but rarely seen.
This is the building, the tall one by Johnson/Burgee Architects.
Make sure you see Ray King's colossal light sculpture "Atlantis." Just ride the escalator down
Find out more about Atlanta's downtown buildings old and new.
terry @ surf303.com
- ► 2014 (69)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- Twisted columns
- Palmed and re-purposed in Va-Hi alley
- Fab 5 Design Blogs from the Atlantan Magazine
- Trompe l'oeil on a rug - Atlanta's biggest urn
- Modern Corner Beauty
- Scottdale Gables
- Pictures: Emily Amy, Kiang, Sandler Hudson, Westsi...
- Seriously Pink Door in Druid Hills
- Thornton Dial reception pictures
- Thornton Dial Reception Thursday, January 14, 6-9 ...
- Big Chrome Bird in Pine Hills
- My LR in HDR
- Teardown adds windows, siding, curves
- Atlanta bloggers meet Brad Heppner and...
- Window replacement big time
- What do you mash to make it do?
- Dated Tub?
- ▼ January (17)
- ► 2009 (179)