It's a condo now, you can't just walk into it's jewel box lobby. You can knock and ask the guard. That's what I did.
"...the Deco style sold. And it was the Beaux-Arts architects that evolved into the leading Art Deco designers...
"Pringle and Smith.returned to the prime real estate of Five Points to present their masterpiece of Art Deco design William-Oliver Building at Five Points, (1930)....
"...The tan brick and comparably colored ornamental panels bring a monochromatic plainness to the building, but the ornament sparkles..." - Robert M. Craig, The Architecture of Francis Palmer Smith, Atlanta's Scholar Architect
The promising entrance is on Peachtree at the northeast corner of the building.
This is the vestibule. I couldn't get the smile off my face for 24 hours: white, tan/orange, black, and purple stone with brassy brass.
Though it's shiny and showy, the lighting is subdued. You don't feel like YOU are on display, know what I mean?
The transom looking from the lobby toward ceiling medallion of the vestibule.
Look up. I've been chuckling about the ceiling for five days. From here it looks like the most elaborate picture frame.
Are modern lobbies this exuberant?
I wonder who did the ceiling.
There are two kinds of medallions, this it the polychrome.
The elevator dial still works.
It was named after developer Thomas G. Healey's grandsons William and Oliver.
I think a lobby like this is good the disposition. It is for mine.
See more Francis Palmer Smith jewel box lobbies:
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- Update on Crane Crunched House
- House Crunched by Crane Today in Morningside
- Browning Courthouse, Tucker, Georgia circa 1860
- Range and Oven kaput after 23 Happy Thanksgivings
- Jewel Box Lobby #3 the William-Oliver Building
- Jewel Box Lobby #2 the W.W. Orr Doctors Building
- Drunk Masonry and How to Compensate
- Jewel Box Lobby - Downtown Atlanta
- Hanging In: Hapeville's Stone Church After a Week ...
- The 13 pictures you are looking at today
- ▼ November (10)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)