It was a 2-fer, a great event in a great space. I went to the opening of "Groundstory." at Agnes Scott's Dalton Gallery last Thursday night. The Dalton is in Dana, one of my favorite places especially at night. Follow "Dalton Gallery of Agnes Scott College" on Facebook to learn more.
The Charles A. Dana Fine Arts Building at Agnes Scott College was designed by Edwards & (John) Portman and dedicated in 1965. Wherever you come down on John Portman, you might enjoy the Dana. It's clever, it's fun, and it takes whatever the students dish out.
Let me give you a hint of Dana at that night.
Dana is a modern that echos Agnes Scott's university Gothic style.
It's a classroom, studio, and office building that happens to contains galleries, a theater, surprises, and a lived-in look.
The Dalton Gallery crowd has a personality of it's own: fans like me, artists, professors, students, "Scotties" and "Decaturites." It was shoulder to shoulder and lots of folks knew each other.
Groundstory had more than I could take in one visit. "Louis Tugs a Tug" by Gina Philips got a lot a attention. I want the "Terry Tugs a Tug" a tug version..
There's a charming short movie, "There's No Place Like...," by Benita Carr and Bill Orisich. Don't miss the levitating ladies.
Stefanie Jackson's four (five?) large paintings bowled me over.
There's much more but this post is about Dana at night.
The gallery was closing but once outside I didn't want to leave.
The view changed with every step..
"Groundstory" runs until November 17, 2012 . Follow "Dalton Gallery of Agnes Scott College" on Facebook.
- ► 2016 (20)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- Dana Fine Arts by Night
- Prince Hall was a man. Prince Hall Masonic Buildin...
- We want to live on Rainbow Row in the Old Fourth W...
- Steeplejacks do windows in Decatur
- We want to live in a Green Quonset Hut with a Cath...
- Rest in Peace "Mr. Imagination" R.I.P Gregory Warm...
- Two Atlanta Tours September 15-16: "O4W Tour" and ...
- Teardown Heartbreaker Pt. 2 - Floorplan and Before...
- This Teardown Should Break Some Hearts Pt. 1
- My Ponce City Market Tour Report
- ▼ September (10)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)