It's a beautiful little apartment building on Frederica near the library, one of many such in the neighborhood. They didn't do this level of detail after the Depression, not in small apartments.
You have walk or stop your car in the right place to see these little porticos.
It's narrow and deep. The lot is only 60' wide. The facade only 31 feet. The entrances are on one side, an alley on the other.
I look for excuses to go this way.
Folks build these forms, shapes, and proportions today. But they "abstract out" the detailing and the related expense. Let's hope this one has modern fire protection.
So what about that Whatchamacallit?
I know you should put your decorative money where it shows. You have to go down the alley side to see this.
What do you call it?
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- Good Bye 2,174 sf and Octagonal Window, Hello 8,54...
- Teardown 4 of 4, Infill where it REALLY Matters - ...
- Teardown 3 of 4, Can a 4-Square Go Anywhere?
- Teardown 2 of 4 Complete - Poptop on Johnson Estat...
- Teardown 1 of 4 Complete in Briar-Vista
- 4 Teardowns Done - the befores
- A Favorite Va-Hi Apartment - 1928 with Petty Porti...
- Join me in the piazza Aug 2? What if I throw in Gi...
- ▼ August (8)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)