We walked Brookwood Hills yesterday. It's landlocked, compact, picturesque, green and hilly. It's hemmed in by Peacthree Street, Peachtree Creek, and CSX, so you pass by rather than pass through. Thanks to Betsey, Bill, Clark for showing us around.
This is Brookwood Hill's Neel Reid. James Means worked here too designing the bump out to the left and the garden. The pictures, even mine, don't show it in the context with it's neighbors. It's not a stand-alone mansion. It's on 1/3 acre and harmonizes with it's neighbors.
There are a few houses by Ivey and Crook.
Brookwood Hills has shingles too.
The 1924 starfish house is shingled charm dialed to "11."
Shingles work here too. Not all the houses insist on top billing, this one is quiet, a 1942 infill.
We find shingles on this 1925 slate-roofed beauty.
We want beautiful things to last:
A Stan Dixon designed renovation on this 1925'er, neither its first nor last.
It's not all shingles and bricks.
This is 64 Wakefield by Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects completed in 1998. "Opal ripped through Atlanta . . . a dislocated hurricane . . . leveling trees and wreaking havoc. A 6 foot caliper water oak . . . one of the grand residents of the neighborhood . . . totaled the brick monopoly-block box house from ridge beam to foundations, inciting a major reconsideration of the premises..."
I doubt there was unanimous joy about it but most neighbors seem to have made their peace.
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- Visualizing Atlanta's "Golden Age" Architects - An...
- Slow down for Big Art on Dekalb Avenue
- Free: Thursday Aprl 26 Robert Craig, author of The...
- Liking Painted Floors, Here are 4
- Follow the Outspoken Outing of Oakhurst Teardowns
- Saturday Walk: Starfish, Reid, Crook, Scogin, Dixo...
- Atlanta's Only Twisted Chimney?
- Stained Glass At Risk - an Assessment at St. Antho...
- Dancing the gallery - gloATL at ACAC
- The only one I care about will soon be a gonner
- The Bluff: when you feel too optimistic or too pe...
- ▼ April (11)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)