I can't think of a single reason you'd drive this way for fun, unless you are an Architecture Tourist or think the Interstates are the most boring roads on earth.
The Capital View Masonic Lodge (1921) has new missions now.
And I doubt these are the original windows.
But on this road, in this part of the city, it's like an ancient lost temple. The former Capitol View Baptist Church, now abandoned, provides a nice balance. When you see these, you know you are at Dill Street.
Metropolitan Parkway is Highway 19/41 from Whitehall Street downtown to Hapeville. It's a dreary stretch road made drearier by the economy, a highway from Lake Superior through Chicago to Miami. Atlantan's know it as Cobb Parkway, Northside Drive, Dogwood Drive, Old Dixie Highway, Tara Boulevard.
Metropolitan Parkway was renamed to improve it's reputation after a sordid murder. It used to be Stewart Avenue and I wish it still was.
Imagine the confidence that produced this building and inspired by it. It's grand statement for the the Capital View Neighborhood begun in 1912.
The Capital View Manor Neighborhood east of Metropolitan was built out a bit later by the same developer who did Virginia Highlands and Morningside. There is a a strong resemblance.
There is a sewing machine shop.
There is a barber shop.
There is a union hall.
This building would look great anywhere in town.
View Larger Map
There is more to see in Metropolitan Parkway including the beautiful Evangeline Booth College.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- July 4th Grab Bag: SunTrust Decor, Reid Prize, Ill...
- Delightful Dancing in a wonderful Dump: Noelle Sti...
- 9th Street Teardown - Inevitable Heartbreak
- Three More Mid-Century Modern Days (and nights)
- 4-sights from the 9th
- Michaganer's install "Edge Condition" for Modern A...
- Annette Joseph: "This is where our charm comes in....
- Winners of the MA11 Awesome! Architect Studio Craw...
- Modern Atlanta 11 Lauch Party Report
- Modern Atlanta 11 Kicks off with VIP's
- Teardown Framing
- The Monument on Metropolitan Parkway
- ▼ June (12)
- ► 2010 (171)
- ► 2009 (179)