Y'all know I prefer my houses full of family and friends. So we had Sunday supper for our California visitors: Burgers, 2 kinds of high calorie potatoes, asparagus, watermelon. I'll reveal two surprises at the end of the post: Mary Lou's masterpiece and what's the story with Nick's tie?
Nina's experience chez Kearns gets her 2nd place in line. She isn't the least bit bothered by the merciless harassment. She nearly gets the first spoonful of our famous potato casserole.
Son David nabs first in line because he cooked the burgers and looks good in his green shirt. You can see Nina's experience coming through: her right elbow blocks the condiment area while she spears a patty. What concentration.
Here is a replay: David demonstrates his subtle right leaning ketchup grab while Rachel dances a jig on the right. With his charming head turning, head tilting smile, you never know what hit you.
Things nearly get out of hand and blurry for a couple of minutes but the crowd remains focused on the buffet.
Fortunately we learn a new California hand signal and straighten things out.
It is "waw'm" out on the porch.
The secret camera catches David in a possible southern hospitality violation: Is he eating a tater tot before all our guests arrive at the table? He denies everything but looks good in his green shirt.
Mary Lou produces the most photogenic plate. Notice the clever layering of tots over asparagus, the graceful swoop of iceberg lettuce, the peeking tomato pulling colors from the tablecloth, the potato/potato bouquet, the elegant but not too perfect dabs of ketchup and mustard: masterpiece.
We were eating the melon course when Grandma Zella called.
So Nick, what's the story with the tie? Producer Nick Valencia had just done a live interview on CNN.
Suddenly everything goes gray. Katherine advises David; Nina keeps her fork under control. What does Jamie know that we don't?
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- 35 Galleries in 12 hours Part 6 of 6: Decatur & In...
- 35 Galleries in 12 hours Part 5: Castleberry Hill ...
- 35 Galleries in 12 hours Part 4: Westside
- 35 Galleries in 12 hours Part 3: South of Pharr, P...
- 35 Galleries in 12 hours Part 2 Buckhead Galleries...
- 35 Galleries in 12 hours Part 1: Dogs, Birds, and ...
- Visit Wonderful Whitespace Gallery at Dusk
- Living Walls Opening --> another batch of pictures...
- Hey Ladies: Opening of Atlanta's Living Walls Conf...
- See you at Castleberry Hill Stroll Tonight, Aug 13...
- Burgers, Tots, Melon, and TV for 11
- Blayne, Bloggers, Bill, Ted, Todd, and Dali
- After my epiphany I confessed to the architects
- ▼ August (13)
- ► 2009 (179)