Forget the price and try the lemon cupcakes.
Grandpa is 80. The son is running amok on spring break so JoAnn, the girls, and I headed to McDonough with balloons and cupcakes for a little celebration. Your host went with the flow. Who knew that we'd enjoy art deco, running shoes, a city hall, and dinner at a re-purposed service station?
This is the Blair-Rutland Building at 215 Church St., Decatur, Georgia.
On the way to Grandpa's we picked up some cupcakes at the Atlanta Cupcake Factory. I complained about the price. I admit I was wrong, try the lemon cupcakes.
Next: the girls needed running shoes. I went along for the ride to The Big Peach Running Company in Decatur.
Buying running shoes takes longer than it used to. I bolted the store with my camera before my hate-to-wait bad attitude took hold. The Blair-Rutland Building is nearby. It's pretty but so darn pink and purple. Was it always?
Decatur City Hall is next to the shoe store. It's beautiful but there is a lot of "less pretty" stuff nearby that catchess the eye first. The overgrown summer foliage will soon hide it. A recent renovation produced these beautiful panels. More on City Hall in another post.
By the time we got the shoes we were hungry again. Rachel said we should go Leon's Full Service for brisket. It's very nice for a converted service station. We got there before the crowd and ate like kings and queens. Rachel was right, the brisket was magnificent. When we left, Leon's was very busy and full of cool folks.
Going along for the ride (for almost 7 hours) was pretty darn good.
As a bonus I got the greatest advice from my 3 girls: How to improve my driving, manners, grooming, people skills, eating habits, and all around behavior. They tirelessly and selflessly look for ways to help me improve myself.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- Top-C in Oldies Architecture and Music
- Teardown Paint Tests
- No Duck Pond Garden Tour this year
- Teardown Bones
- Renaissance music in a 21st Century Gothic Chapel ...
- Fay Gold shows in Atlanta's most extraordinary lof...
- Big Art in Castleberry Hill: Hense and "Blue Husky...
- Wow: New Basharat Gallery and collaboration with F...
- Update: Home explosion: The bulb in our Lightolier...
- Photographer Blogger Blayne Beacham shows at TULA
- Decatur City Hall
- What was going on today at the downtown Davison's?...
- I'm re-doing the front door. What would you do?
- Pinkest and Purplest Art Deco in Decatur
- Rail Arts District Studio Cruise 2010 - 300th post...
- 5 for last friday - Music, Planetarium, Galleries,...
- To do list for "Phoenix Flies" March 6 - 20 includ...
- Six Atlanta design bloggers lunch with blues titan...
- ▼ March (18)
- ► 2009 (179)