Sunday, February 7, 2010

The teardown starts rocking - big time

I'm participating in Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch. Thought you might like an update on the teardown across the street.

Remember last September? I'm glad I took pictures.
P9100865-AxlR-NorthFacade-From-Street
PA010970-1261-NW-September-30-2009

This is the week of stone. It's going to change everything.
P1000604-2010-02-07-1261-RocksStone-Foundation-Stair

I'm been talking with the architect / builder Bob DeFiore of Portico all along but as an amateur I get stuck on the way it looks today,
PB281971-2009-11-28-1261-NE-Corner-basement-1st-Floor-Framed

or the next day,
PC112247-2009-12-12-1261-2nd-Floor-1st-Rafters-North-Closer

or the next.
P1000155-2010-01-08-1261-East-Windows-Arch-Detail

What Bob knew all along was that the stone on the foundation, on the steps, making an arch, running all the way to the top of the gable would unify and balance everything. And it would be a sculpture in itself. Well I'm starting to get it.

This week the masons arrived, put up their scaffolds, and started work. I am very excited. We're all going to see it soon.
P1000597-2010-02-07-1261-RocksStone-NE-Corner

P1000599-2010-02-07-1261-RocksStone-NW-Corner

P1000604-2010-02-07-1261-RocksStone-Foundation-Stair

Thanks so much,
Terry

P.S. Atlantans: I'm attending the 2010 Philip Trammell Shutze Awards on February 20th. You should too. In the run up to the awards I'm doing a batch of posts about Shutze in my "neighborhood." I'm working on a post about Shutze's Emory University Hospital.

It has some of the beefiest door and window molding in town.
P1000644-2010-02-07-Shutze-Emory-Hospital_pregamma_1_mantiuk06_contrast_equalization_0.84_saturation_factor_1.64_detail_factor_81.7

Thanks to Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I love seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry,
    Are they using the Hardie Artisanal siding? It is not available all over the country, but I believe it is available in your area. Looks very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello House Things, yet Hardi plank, and shingle, some paneling (of what type I don't know. some stone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is beautiful.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful in the making...
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my what an awesome and labor intensive project! Makes my wallpaper removal seem like a piece of cake!!

    blessings
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge undertaking, Terry! The stone is looking beautiful and I know it will all be completely gorgeous when done.

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just about to ask about the siding, too. I like that "mottled" look - not just a plain, flat color, but with some depth -almost like cedar shake siding.
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, part of me finds teardowns a little sad, but then I see a new house like this one and get all excited! Beautiful looking stone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terry, the stone work is looking really nice! I like the random sizes and coloration. One thing I get a little tired of seeing is the Austin stone, which I think has been overused in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is actually "rocks in a box" from Brazil. I don't know how it's made but it makes it much easier on the masons; breaking rock to hard work and bad on your ears. Holding it in my hands, it sure looks like stone to me.

    Around here we have lots of crab orchard sandstone and Cherokee slate. There are 2 major kinds of Georgia granite too. I guess there are a lot of variation in the stone and in the way the masons do it. I supposedly have "crab orchard sandstone done country style" which is kind of like stacked stone but with random thicker chunks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I talked with Bob DeFiore of Portico today about the stone. He said it's real stone cut into handy pieces. It save a lot of labor for the masons. I'm sure more than half of the typical job is fitting and breaking the stone. It's jarring work for the body and the ears.

    This particular stone is proprietary: Daco Stone from Daco Enterprises, Powder Springs Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very exciting to see this, Terry! I just looked at the tear down pics...Wow...such a beautiful addition to this neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive