Friday, February 5, 2010
Peachtree at Piedmont - Zen View
Attention Atlantans: Do you recognize this window? Who were the architects?
I drove Buckhead in the drizzle this morning, heading south on Peachtree. Waiting to turn left on Piedmont, I could just make out Peachtree Road Methodist Church 1/4 mile away. It was a beautiful zen view among the muck. I floor-boarded the zoom, resting the camera on the steering wheel, happy for the red light.
Buckhead is Atlanta's premiere edge city but it's a very close-in edge. Most everything is there: living, eating, working, shopping, entertaining; luxury and sleaze. New skyscrapers, old businesses, even "Disco Kroger" is still there. The housing boom left it overbuilt but likely to succeed.
I like Buckhead. It's not very pretty as a whole but it's jammed full of great parts. A good bit of it is unplanned and raucous and just right. Even the Buckhead churches do well.
So a glimpse through the windshield wipers and fog made me happy that I was stopped at the one of Atlanta's worst intersections. Imagine the light in the sanctuary beneath this tower.
I doing posts about the 2010 Philip Trammell Shutze Awards. Yesterday's post hinted at another Shutze buiding with a similar windowed tower.
Here is a better hint. Imagine the light in the domed hallway below this tower.
Let me know if you are attending the Shutze Awards.
- ► 2016 (26)
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- The grout changed everything.
- Josephine and Elmira - Lady Streets of Candler Pa...
- Calder Loth's 2010 Shutze Award Notes
- Shutze's High Schools Part 1: Grady (1924)
- 2010 Shutze Award Winners for "Excellence in Tradi...
- Shutze's Peachtree Manor Apartments (1923)
- Best Shutze in small package: The Villa (ca 1920)
- Philip Shutze's Flagship Stores: Rich's and Daviso...
- C&S Bank Headquarters Renovation by Philip Shutze
- Shutze's Hidden Maternity Hospital at Crawford Lon...
- Academy of Medicine by Philip Trammell Shutze and ...
- Emory University Hospital by Philip Shutze
- The Steeple at Glenn UMC by Shutze
- Rich Memorial Building at Emory University by Phil...
- Shutze goes Greek at Emory
- Gate to Hell opens near mid-century modern in Atla...
- Shutze's Harris Hall at Emory University
- Haygood-Hopkins Gate at Emory by Philip Shutze
- Taste of Shutze at Emory
- The teardown starts rocking - big time
- Philip Shutze's remodeled Dwoskin office abandoned...
- Peachtree at Piedmont - Zen View
- This Shutze house has connections Jefferson, Askin...
- Shutze's sparkling brick at Grady High School
- ▼ February (24)
- ► 2009 (179)