I was short cutting through Druid Hills this week and spotted this pink door.
You might prefer your pink door on a house of another color, maybe gray?
There are whole gaggles of Atlanta folks who've never been to Druid Hills. Unless you are headed to Emory University, or traipsing between Atlanta and Decatur, you'll miss it. It's not a manor house destination like Brookhaven and Buckhead, not Victorian eclectic like Inman Park.
It is a large but compact, and easily viewable collection of handsome homes by Walter T. Downing, Arthur Neal Robinson, Henry Hornbostel, Neil Reid and other. There are Shutze buildings at Emory and more that 40 homes and school buildings by Buck Crook.
I'd guess that every notable Atlanta architect has done renovations here. But Druid Hills Historic District rules prevent changes from showing on the street. There are just a few infills than might be teardowns.
Personally, I enjoy Druid Hills more in parts than as a total package. Click here to enlarge the pink door house: symmetry, roof, soffit detail, oval window, quoins (thanks to Dan for spelling correction), brick band, limestone door surround, leaded glass sidelights, 6 over 1 windows. This is an elegant, handsome home, that doesn't shout. Well I guess the pink door shouts a bit.
I can imagine this very house built today in Atlanta's most exclusive neighborhoods.
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- Twisted columns
- Palmed and re-purposed in Va-Hi alley
- Fab 5 Design Blogs from the Atlantan Magazine
- Trompe l'oeil on a rug - Atlanta's biggest urn
- Modern Corner Beauty
- Scottdale Gables
- Pictures: Emily Amy, Kiang, Sandler Hudson, Westsi...
- Seriously Pink Door in Druid Hills
- Thornton Dial reception pictures
- Thornton Dial Reception Thursday, January 14, 6-9 ...
- Big Chrome Bird in Pine Hills
- My LR in HDR
- Teardown adds windows, siding, curves
- Atlanta bloggers meet Brad Heppner and...
- Window replacement big time
- What do you mash to make it do?
- Dated Tub?
- ▼ January (17)
- ► 2009 (179)