Saturday, November 21, 2009
David Huff paintings at Mattress Factory
Here is David Huff (with hat) in his studio from last week's Mattress Factory Studio Tour post.
He was kind enough to invite me to his solo show last Friday night (11-20-09). It was perfect for Architecture Tourists: Seeing original art in one of Atlanta's original loft conversions. The building deserves it's own post. Right now let's see some of David's hyper vivid colors. These 2 could light up a stadium.
In fact I wanted to see them from a distance as with this Zen View:
I don't know the moment when abstract art started to appeal to me. From the first I guess. I haven't studied are so I don't have words for the art. But they communicate fine without them. And David printings reward deep looks and repeated visits.
This is an arch but...
David Huff is working with plastic sign board and outdoor sign paint to produce works like this. He said these could be heated and bent and applied to curved surfaces.
This one isn't so curvy. I only notice from the picture.
Hardly anyone I know has been to an artist's reception. I'd urge you to go to one. The artist will appreciate it, there is food and drink, they don't demand much time, and have a very flexible dress code. Nice folks from all stripes are usually just as mystified as you are about the art and the artist, mystified by how the art affects.
They might even think you are cool in your red sweatshirt taking pictures from a tiny tripod. See if you can spot me in the picture.
Thanks to David Huff for inviting me to his solo art show.
P.S Check out this 3-story neon sculpture in the Mattress Factory lobby.
Here are all the pictures:
- ► 2015 (42)
- ► 2014 (73)
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (171)
- Family Room for Thanksgiving.
- Angel Cannon Chapel Column Capitals
- David Huff paintings at Mattress Factory
- Alexandro Santana artist reception at Besharat
- Atlanta bloggers at Mitchell Gold+Bob Williams boo...
- Mattress Factory Artsts - WOW
- Castelberry Hill Art Stroll - November 13, 2009
- John Folsom, Todd Murphy, and Felice Sharp hosted ...
- Jeff's Shutters #3 - Completed
- Curbside Screen
- Pitts Theology Library, Emory University
- Artists from the Buckhead Art Stroll, November, 20...
- Suzanne Kasler, writes, signs, talks, and parties
- Red Patti - the very thing?
- TK's Jackson Pollock Pickets
- ▼ November (15)