Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hillyer Place, Decatur Georgia, a block of charm

Sycamore Street - "Old Sycamore" to some - is a few blocks of great old houses on the east side of town. (See "Old Decatur Historic District") It's rather out of the way if you are in a hurry, but Architecture Tourists need to slow a bit. One of my errand routes is Commerce Drive which takes me past the Cora Beck Hampton Schoolhouse and House. This is the view from Commerce.
P1191715-Hillyer-South-Facade

My poor pictures don't do justice to the house, the setting, or it's neighbors. I'm delighted every time I see it. It's on the National Register of Historic Places so you don't need to rush. But you'll want to get over there as soon as you can.
P1191715-Hillyer-North-Facade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive